Thursday, April 19, 2012

Witch Doctor: Mechanics = possibly cool, Visuals = Crap

The thread title pretty much says it all.

I am cool being a crowd-control caster with a minor meat-shield, but I am not cool with toads, bugs and corpses/zombies appearing out of nowhere without a kill. Seriously, is the Lord of Darkness or whoever we end up fighting going to be afraid of this stuff? If a monk hit eight dudes at once and blew up my comrade, if a wizard slowed time and incinerates a bath of my minions and if a barbarian slammed through me faster than the eye can see, then, even being Diablo, I might think about being a bit more careful. If someone tossed frogs at me or sends a spider after me, then all I would have to respond is "Not even death can save you from me", before putting a smackdown on him for all eternity.



All of the other characters have epic looking spells, but almost all of the WD's look weak. He ought to be called the entomologist.

P.S. Thanks for taking away the burning/poisoned dogs, one of the few saving points.|||I don't know about you but having swarms of suicidal frogs streaking towards you in a timely fashion would scare the heck out of me. Also, spiders being puked out of a zombie who's sole purpose in life appears to be popping out of the ground and disgorging poisonous spiders for all eternity is pretty scary stuff. Firebats are cool too.

You have to keep in mind that we don't know the majority of the WD's spells yet, and that bliz makes sure that the chars look and act cool. Look at whirlwind. They beefed it up simply because another enemy had a similar looking one. They just haven't gotten around to beefing up the WD yet what with all the deciding what his skills are gonna be, before wasting hours upon hours making cool animation that won't see the light of day since the skill gets scrapped two days after its done, stuff|||I wouldn't be particularly afraid if somebody threw frogs at me.

On the other hand, if those frogs were of the explode-in-acid variety, then you'd better believe I'd be scared!

Nothing's quite normal with the WD. Locusts don't typically clean the flesh off your bones while you're still alive, for instance (and do it in a couple of seconds, to boot).|||I'd be scared too... because I am human.

I am not some demon or Mephisto, Diablo or Baal or Azmadon or whoever it is going to be. If I were, and someone threw frogs - even poisonous exploding frogs - I'd probably get a good chuckle before blowing them and their frogs apart.

And, keep in mind that I am talking about the visuals for pretty much the whole ensemble of spells, not just one or two spells and not necessarily the mechanics.|||Quote:










I am not some demon or Mephisto, Diablo or Baal or Azmadon or whoever it is going to be. If I were, and someone threw frogs - even poisonous exploding frogs - I'd probably get a good chuckle before blowing them and their frogs apart.




Blizzard isn't designing the Witch Doctor to be weaker than the other classes, regardless of how un-threatening you think his abilities might look. At best, you'd get a good chuckle before being blown up by exploding frogs. Those demons who witness their buddies suffering such a fate might rightfully fear those frogs the next time they see them (to use the example you used).

Of course, I personally believe that heck-spawn and corrupted beasts have their senses so twisted that they aren't afraid of anything, be it skulls of flame, bolts of lightning, or whirlwind barbarians.

That's supposed to be part of the reason why demons are so scary - they don't feel fear the way we do. Unless of course, they're Fallen .|||Quote:








I am not some demon or Mephisto, Diablo or Baal or Azmadon or whoever it is going to be. If I were, and someone threw frogs - even poisonous exploding frogs - I'd probably get a good chuckle before blowing them and their frogs apart.




It is a well known fact that Baal, being a relative of the cockroach family, is terrified of frogs. Also, Diablo, being a mutated tadpole, is also somewhat weary of his parent frogs.

Conclusion: Frogs are scary! Acid is scary! Creepy old half naked men (WD) are scary!

Frog spell = super ultra triple scary!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment