Saturday, April 21, 2012

Witch Doctor ---> Witch

When you're in a hole, you reach a point where you just need to stop digging. (delete ftw)|||Why changing the class name would help? And why don't you like the Witch Doctor "graphical representation and persona"? I hope it is not because he is black. If you are talking about the way he shivers, I like it, because it is like he's in some spiritual trance. Which is ok since he contacts another dimension to channel his powers.|||It has nothing to do with his skin color. Please don't imply that I'm racist out of the blue, it's quite rude.

What I'm saying is that aside from a character's skills and overall combat effectiveness his persona and graphical representation play a significant part in a player's mind when they are formulating an opinion of them, subconcious or otherwise. That said I'll give an example of what I mean:

Character - Connotations (what they're persona/image brings to mind):

Barbarian - Strong, Fierce, Brutal, Weary

Wizard - Mysterious, Cunning, Arrogant

Witch Doctor - Frail, Weak, Crackpot, Guy who smoked a few too many joints.

----

I think with a few graphical tweaks/changes maybe a name change we could change the Witch Doctor to have a much more "formidible" persona.

Do you see what I'm saying?|||I think it's his pot belly, personally. The WD seriously needs to do some more jogging or something. |||Witch = Female Wizard

"Frail, Weak, Crackpot, Guy who smoked a few too many joints."

Thats what a Witch Doctor is supposed to be like and i think it is new and refreshing to have a character like that. Not every character has to be strong or fierce looking.|||My problem with his stance is that is looks like they simply slapped black skin on a WC3 troll and placed another head on the shoulders. You also have this huge disparity between the female WD and the male WD. Only the male looks like this goofy old fool.|||He doesnt look goofy. I dont see how leaning over a little bit makes him look anything less than cool. He specializes in the dark magic and voodoo so hes not going to be the strongest looking guy. He also lives in the jungle so hes going to be dirty or looks older.|||Maybe the "deceptively-frail-yet-awesomely-powerful" magic caster is a cliche, but it's a cliche I like.

I don't really see him as goofy. Just old and (seemingly) frail.

I do agree about the disparity between the man and woman, though.|||Well another point of contention. If this is what they are "going for" than why does the female Witch Doctor look like a super model?|||Quote:








Well another point of contention. If this is what they are "going for" than why does the female Witch Doctor look like a super model?




Good point.

No comments:

Post a Comment