Thursday, April 12, 2012

Survey: "Zombie Dog" or "Mongrel"

[:1]I mentioned this issue during this morning's phone interview with Jay Wilson, and he said he preferred "Mongrel" himself, but that it was an ongoing team debate. I said that most fans seemed to like Mongrel, and he said fan votes are always important and that he could use them during the team discussions.

So, here we are. No one's actually run a poll on this, AFAIK. Let's get some empirical evidence, shall we?

Which do you prefer as a name for the skill and the resulting creature?

  • Zombie Dog

  • Mongrel

  • Something else



|||Well, with the Necromancer, you had Bone Wall, Bone Armor, Bone Spear, and Bone Spirit. All the Skills generally had a theme.

The Witch Doctor has Wall of Zombies, Zombie Charger, Zombie Dog, and a Zombie Skill tree. Also following a theme.

Zombie Dog seems more appropriately named to me.

Or Zombie Mongrel. Lol.|||I hate it when a spell name leads you to believe that, lore-wise, there ought to be a regent and then does not require one. When there isn't a regent where there should be, it makes the game seem (to me) unrealistic in terms of its own lore and thus (for me) ruins the immersion a bit. In other words, zombies without corpses sounds dumb to me, and that includes the dogs, the wall, the charger and the dumb zombie that pops out of the ground with spiders in its mouth.

But, I don't think Blizz's art direction really cares about this, and I think I am in the minority if not completely alone.|||They do not look really like dogs if you look close, rather like skinned apes or something. So my proposition is Zombie Apes or Zombie Mongrels but Zombie is a must.|||Hi!

I previously liked Mongrel a lot better, but i have gotten used to the z-dog reference and mongrels can't really be shortened well to anything else than monks... and that could lead into some serious misunderstandings.

Tho, they don't really look like dogs now when i look at them. Maybe somehting in lines of charger? I would like names zombe lurker or zombie leaper but those names would be really misleading due the monsters in previous Bliz games and i'm pretty sure leapers are already in game as a monster.|||Mongrel has a nice ring to it, but anything other than zombie dog, PLEASE. There's no problem with the zombie bit; the name shouldn't contain dog. They aren't dogs! They seem closer to scavengers. Zombie Scavengers may be too long winded, so Mongrel would be the top contender.

But seriously, they're not dogs.|||Zombie Dog just seems too hokey. I am expecting a decayed chihuahua to jump out and moan "�Yo quiero brains!"

I personally don't think all the "zombie" spells have to have "zombie" in the title. It would get a little old after a while.

If they wanted a theme, why not "Big Ol' Bubby Zombie" instead of Gargantuan? "Zombie Hands!" for grasp of death? These are just as much "zombie" as the others.

I think, in the end, having Zombie Skill Tree , Zombie Dog, Zombie Charger, and Zombie Wall is just too much "Zombie". Isn't there another way to say Zombie?! Look at the following list:

Zombie Skill Tree

Gargantuan

Grasp of Death

Zombie Wall

Decayed Charger

Mongrel

That list adds diversity and I only changed one word.

All the Bone spells for Necro worked somehow. Though I think Bone Spirit could have had a better name, it wasn't over kill with the "Bone" names.

In the end...they do not look like dogs. They look like "any cross between different things, esp. if inharmonious or indiscriminate" and the name in general is...childish, lacking any thought or creativity.

IF it is ends up Being "Zombie (X)" it should be ANYTHING other than dog. Lurker, Crawler, Scavenger. Zombie Thing is even better than Zombie Dog.

That's all I gotta say about that.|||I also much prefer Mongrel. I actually really like that name, I think it captures the concept of the weird, disturbingly human, wolfish creatures surprisingly well in just a word.

Zombie dog is mildly amusing, I guess, and I'm sure it's a fun nickname around the studio and probably forever now that we're all privy to it, even if it changes. But I have to agree, they're clearly not just dogs, they are weird and kinda creepy and definitely malevolent looking. zombie dog just doesn't fit the bill in my opinion.

To be fair, though, I'm not really a fan of silly names in general. I like my humor a little more subtle.|||I don't really have idea why they changed it, Mongrel is more catchy and all what TheDux writen. So i just hope it wont end up like WC3 Shadow Hunter face mask, which was so good looking everybody picked that guy in beta.|||Mongrel by far. It sounds better when you say it. It refers to the fact that the minions look like an amalgamation of parts instead of a straight up dog converted to a zombie. They hardly look like dogs so Zombie Dogs doesn't seem very appropriate. I also find Zombie Dogs to sound very lame. It gives the same vibe as those cheesy sci-fi movies where they just added "space-" to everything.






Quote:








Zombie Dog just seems too hokey. I am expecting a decayed chihuahua to jump out and moan "�Yo quiero brains!"




Damn you! Now I want this as a skill. I could have endless fun with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment