Monday, April 16, 2012

Item Set Previews Male WD - Page 2

Give him a break, he's clearly high on grass.|||Quote:








Not a big fan of the themed armor thing. I want the equipped armor to somewhat resemble its icon; equipping a set of metal chain mail shouldn't result in my character wearing armor made out of organic material like wood and leaves and stuff.

As for the actual art, it looks all right. Some of the textures look a bit flat when shown this close up, but that won't be very noticable in-game so it doesn't matter.




I'm with you, I'd prefer each item to have it's own unique look. But in the interest of time and resources, this seems like an ok compromise. I mean think about armor in D2. There were 15 different types of body armor, but I think only 6 or 7 models for how they'd look on a character. If there are 18 models in D3, then either there are a TON more types of armor, or there are more different looks for the models than there were in D2.

Like I said, I'd rather it be a one for one thing, but I can take this compromise as it's still an improvement over D2.|||Yup, actually both D1 and D2 used the same progressive armor look we're seeing in D3 (D1 had 3 different tiers, D2 had 15) so my complaint is mostly aimed at the general principle rather than D3's approach to the whole thing.

After playing Titan Quest (and to some degree WoW) I've gotten fairly spoiled with items looking like their icons, but I must say I really liked it and currently D3's approach is one of the few aspects of D3 I don't like.|||TQ did have this going for it nicely, but the big problem with TQ was that...well...all of the armor was SO BORING looking. The weapons were fine, but the armor, while it DID look just like the icons, just kinda looked like crap. Especially caster armor.

I'm not quite sure about what D3 is doing with this, but...I guess I'm kinda neutral. It may not be QUITE realistic, but it makes all the characters look a lot better and more thematic.|||Well, which particular items actually are visible on your character?

In D2:

Chest gave an overall look

Weapons/shields

Helm

In D3:

Chest

Weapons/shields

Helm

Boots?

Shoulders?

Gloves?

Bracers?

Somehow I doubt belts are visible, along w/ the obvious jewelery.|||Quote:








Yup, actually both D1 and D2 used the same progressive armor look we're seeing in D3 (D1 had 3 different tiers, D2 had 15) so my complaint is mostly aimed at the general principle rather than D3's approach to the whole thing.




I would argue a bit about 15 tiers, it was 3 tiers, but with greater mishmash between complete tiers, like Full plate and Gothic plate only differed in slews and breast plate and so on.

And as for Items and char looks, they may stay with the way it is, all same in inventory or go Torchlight way, class seeing it own "base" item looks.|||Quote:








I would argue a bit about 15 tiers, it was 3 tiers, but with greater mishmash between complete tiers, like Full plate and Gothic plate only differed in slews and breast plate and so on.




Yeah, that's the general idea (light, medium and heavy armor), it's just a matter of whether you want to count every single step in the progression as a tier or not (in which case "naked" is also a tier). Regardless, D3 is doing the same so it's there whether we like it or not.


Quote:








In D3:

Chest

Weapons/shields

Helm

Boots?

Shoulders?

Gloves?

Bracers?




Boots, shoulders, gloves and bracers are all visible, in addition to pants. You can let this screenshot serve as a reference since the items equipped in the paper doll also appear to be worn by the character.

I don't know about belts because the belt textures I've seen so far are too blurry, making it difficult to distinguish whether the belt is a part of the chest armor or whether it's a stand-alone item piece.|||Quote:








I'd rather it be a one for one thing, but I can take this compromise as it's still an improvement over D2.




This is something I didn't like about D2 and D1, Being someone from a strong D&D back ground I hated the idea that my spell caster was wearing anything but robs.

For me this is a step in the right direction, each class (and gender) could pick you a "rugged armor of power" and it will look appropriate on them.|||Quote:








This is something I didn't like about D2 and D1, Being someone from a strong D&D back ground I hated the idea that my spell caster was wearing anything but robs.

For me this is a step in the right direction, each class (and gender) could pick you a "rugged armor of power" and it will look appropriate on them.




i for one found it refreshing no more picking up , light , medium and heavy armor as feats.

I never liked the idea that my casters would be unable to wear armor|||Quote:








i for one found it refreshing no more picking up , light , medium and heavy armor as feats.

I never liked the idea that my casters would be unable to wear armor




Thats only because your GM was stingy and didn't give you some nice robes or any rings of protection +3

No comments:

Post a Comment